He said that as per the NGT’s instructions a meeting of the NBWL had been convened to consult them on the matter and the unanimous decision was to keep the ESZ within reasonable limits keeping in mind the property developers who had already started constructing housing projects within 10 km radius of the sanctuary and home buyers had also started paying EMIs for the houses purchased here.
Mr, Javadekar added that all efforts would be taken to protect wildlife habitat and bird sanctuaries, and these would be properly maintained and developed. “Nobody wants to kill birds and animals, but the concerns of other people also have to be taken into account while making decisions,” he said.
The Ministry of Environment and Forests will issue a notification on the matter within a week with detailed minutes of Tuesday’s NBWL meeting. CREDAI President Getamber Anand has said in response to the development, “It’s very good news for the 55,000 buyers whose homes were ready but could not occupy it.” The move is expected to give further boost to the real estate market in Noida’s Gautam Buddh Nagar district, where the bird sanctuary is located.
Commenting on the same, DLF Group Executive Director Rajeev Talwar said: “Extremely positive step taken by the government. Little delayed but will provide huge relief to home buyers whose flats were ready more than a year back but were unable to occupy them.”
He said this would also open up huge employment opportunities and economic turnover when the commercial and retail establishments get occupation certificates. “For DLF, it means opening up of the Mall of India, which is being developed in Noida, as soon as possible providing relief to hundreds of shopping and food outlets,” Mr. Talwar said.
Welcoming the decision, CREDAI national vice president Rohit Raj Modi said: “This decision was awaited and much expected by the more than 50,000 families who had invested their hard-earned income for their dream home in Noida. This has come as a big relief for them.”